So, you want to be a yoga teacher? Awesome! Teaching yoga is an incredibly rewarding profession that allows you to help others while pursuing your own personal practice. But as with any career, there’s one big question that you’ll need to answer before you get started: how much money do you want to make?
According to a national survey made in the US, it is now around 46.000 US dollars per year, around 3.800 US dollars per month.
And you might hear this number feeling like this is where you are or maybe not even, and this will depend greatly on what you do as a yoga teacher.
It is also interesting to know that Yoga teachers are rarely full-time employees in only one studio and tend to be paid per class or hour. On average, this represents between 20 and 40 us dollars per class taught.
Of course, there are many other ways you can be paid for, and maybe you are paid per student or simply share the profit with the studio. Many options!
But let’s face it, providing for an entire family with $3800 Us dollars in USA might be difficult as prices rise everywhere.
So if you want to reach beyond 46k per year, what can you do?
Figuring out your income goal may seem like a daunting task, but it’s actually quite simple. Just ask yourself these three questions:
- What is your income goal?
- How much money do you want to make per year?
- What is my desired lifestyle?
If you prefer to think per month, multiply this number by 12, as we will look at your full year in this blog.
It is difficult to decide how much we want or even need. The idea is not to barely make ends meet.
And this is why being clear on what it means to live comfortably, thrive, and succeed is so important because if not, you will never know when you will get there.
To me, being successful meant not counting my money. I come from a family where we always talked about money and struggled so much with it. I remember the stress of my parents, us eating cereal for dinner and not being able to buy things we wanted. Which I believe is, unfortunately, the majority of people.
So my idea of being successful was not to have to stress out about money. To go on holiday if I want to, to buy the things I want for my family or myself, to build a swimming pool like I am doing right now, or to buy a flight ticket for my mom to come to see me in Bali.
This was my idea of success, so to find my income goal, I had to calculate how much that meant making per year clearly. And following the strategy I teach in my programs, this is where I a now, and it is way beyond the $46k per year it was even when I was not supporting yoga teachers for their business, so you can, too, as a yoga teacher make beyond this average number.
Create a Plan to Reach Your Income Goal
Once you’ve established your income goal, it’s time to create a plan for reaching it. And the good news is that there are several ways to do this. Here are a few ideas:
- Offer private yoga sessions in addition to group classes. Private sessions allow you to work one-on-one with students and charge premium rates.
- Teach specialty workshops and intensives on topics like meditation or pranayama. These types of events typically have higher attendance rates and ticket prices than regular classes.
- Get certified to teach yoga teacher training. Not only will this give you the opportunity to share your passion for yoga with others who want to become teachers themselves, but it’s also a great way to earn additional income.
- Create and sell digital products like e-books or online courses. This is a great option if you want to reach a wider audience beyond your local community.
- Offer corporate wellness services like on-site yoga classes or lunchtime meditation sessions. Companies are always looking for ways to promote healthy lifestyles for their employees, so this is a great market to tap into.
- Earn revenue through affiliate marketing by promoting products or services that are relevant to your students (e.g., yoga mats, props, apparel, etc.). When people purchase items through your affiliate link, you’ll earn a commission on the sale.
- Become a brand ambassador for companies in the fitness or wellness industry. This can include anything from attending events and speaking on behalf of the company to posting about them on social media or writing blog articles featuring their products or services.
- Offer distance healing services like Reiki or Therapeutic Touch work sessions via Skype or FaceTime. This is a great option if you have students who live far away or if you’re interested in working with clients outside of the traditional studio setting.
Reaching your income goal as a yoga teacher is simple when you know what steps to take. By offering private sessions, teaching workshops and intensives, becoming certified to teach teacher training, selling digital products, providing corporate wellness services, partnering with other businesses in the fitness industry, or offering distance healing services, you can easily reach–and even exceed–your desired monthly income.
So what are you waiting for?